THE AIM AND (EXTENT) CONTEXT
From Greek: “ou” (not) and “topos” (place) and means “no place”
According to Sir Thomas More, utopia is defined as:
“….. of Their Towns, Particularly of Amaurot …. is compassed with a high and thick wall, in which there are many towers and forts; there is also a broad and deep dry ditch, set thick with thorns, cast round three sides of the town, and the river is instead of a ditch on the fourth side. The streets are very convenient for all carriage, and are well sheltered from the winds. Their buildings are good, and are so uniform that a whole side of a street looks like one house. The streets are twenty feet broad; there lie gardens behind all their houses; these are large but enclosed with buildings that on all hands face the streets; so that every house has both a door to the street, and a back door to the garden. Their doors have all two leaves, which, as they are easily opened, so they shut of their own accord; and there being no property among them, every man may freely enter into any house whatsoever. At every ten years’ end they shift their houses by lots.
They cultivate their gardens with great care, so that they have vines, fruits, herbs, and flowers in them; and all is so well ordered, and so finely kept, that I never saw gardens anywhere that were both so fruitful and so beautiful as theirs……”
19th-century French writer Stendhal said that “La beauté permet la naissance du bonheur, ( donc ) est ce qui plaît universellement ( et) témoigne la liberté de l’esprit (et) s’offre à l’imagination. “ [The beauty allows the birth of happiness (so) is what pleases universally (and) shows the freedom of the mind (and) offers the imagination.]
Additionally, Leo Tolstoy defined happiness as follows:
“Happiness is real only when shared!”
BE A DREAMER!
The main aim of the competition is developing new ideas considering “UTOPIA and/or Happiness” following the Durban 2014 theme “OTHERWHERE”. The participants of the competition are required to define a context of Utopia of their choice, to produce their own media in order to define Utopia and/or Happiness. The participants are supposed to build their projects in relation with the themes and subthemes of UIA Durban 2014. The participants are requested to represent the concept or describe with any communication tool (drawing, photos, words, – with dimensions as we will specified later) how and what you think that a simple idea can improve the happiness of your world, that no one else had ever thought of before.) Both visual and textual formats are going to be used for the presentation of the design proposals.
The event is organized by Regions I and Region II of the International Union of Architects (UIA), under the secreteriat of Chamber of Architects of Turkey (CAT) on behalf of the Region II.
TYPE OF THE EVENT
This single stage idea competition is open to architects worldwide in accordance with UIA-UNESCO regulations.
TERMS FOR PARTICIPATION
• To be an architect
• To be a member of an organization of architects in their own country. Their countries must be members of the UIA.
• It is possible to participate as a team. The participants from different disciplines such as, urban planning, landscape architects, interior designers, engineers, social scientists, philosophers etc. can also join the team. But the leader of the team has to be an architect.
• Participation in the event is free of charge.
• People who are relatives of members of the jury or the technical committee can not participate in the event.
LANGUAGE OF THE EVENT
English is the official language for projects and documents.
CALENDAR OF THE EVENT
• Announcement: March 13, 2013
• Deadline for questions: March 30, 2014
• Deadline for answers of the questions: April 7, 2014
• Deadline submission of projects: May 10, 2014
• Announcement of the results: May 30, 2014
• Exhibition of the projects& Award ceremony: August 3-7, 2014
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
All questions about the event will be asked by using e-mail up to March 30, 2014
Questions will be answered by the organizers of the competition up to April,7 2014. All questions and answers will be published on the http://www.uiaregion2.org/ on that date.
• All projects will be presented and adjudicated anonymously. Participants will chose an identity code that will appear on each document submitted. This code will be made up of 3 numbers (non-consecutive) and 2 letters. They will be written on the 15mm/50mm white background with black letters and it will be written on right upper corner of the all documents making up the entry.
• The technical committee will mask these identity codes with a serial number for the duration of the jury meeting.
• When the jury has made it final selection, the identification envelopes will be opened and anonymity lifted.
SUBMISSION OF THE PROJECT
• Entries will be submitted anonymously.
• Submissions will include a sealed envelope containing the competitors personal information. The identity code of the participants will be written on the outside the of envelope in which applicants’ name, surname, telephone number, e-mail address, communication address, photocopy of their identity card/passport and their registration number at their Chamber/Institute will be clearly written.
• In case of team participation, all team members’ information will be in this closed identity envelope.
• The Project boards (A1 594 x 841 mm – 23.40 x 33.13 inc) will be submitted DIGITALLY without printing, at least 150dpi resolution, CMYK format, TIFF/JPEG/EPS type document recorded in DVD/CD.
• DVD/CD and identity envelopes will be packed in paper on which “UTOPIA: INTERNATIONAL ARCHITECTS’ IDEAS COMPETITION” is written clearly, will be sent or delivered to the address below:
MİMARLAR ODASI GENEL MERKEZI
Konur Sokak 4/2
06650 Yenisehir ANKARA TÜRKİYE
• For the projects submitted from abroad, a maximum of 7 days will be allowed for delivery after the submission deadline. For the projects from Turkey it is limited to 3 days after the deadline for submission.
• The receipts and the confirmation of the carrier company about the posting date of projects should be faxed to the awards secretariat and should confirm that the projects are posted at latest on submission date May 10, 2014 at 17.00.
Fax: 00 90 418 03 61
• The carrier service cost will be paid by the participant.
• Personally submitted projects have to be submited by May 10, 2014, 17.00 at the latest.
• Applications which are not received on time will not be accepted.
• Project scenario will be sent in written format with maximum 500 words
• The project will be presented vertically on one sheet with dimensions A1 (594 x 841 mm – 23.40 x 33.13 inc)
• All documents will also be delivered on a DVD/ CD with at least 300 dpi resolution as PDF. The scenario must also be in that DVD/CD as a word document.
• Presentation technique is free.
• The identity code must be placed on right upper corner of all documents.
JURY AND RAPPORTEURS
(In alphabetical sequence of last names)
Lorenz BRAKER, President of SIA SWITZERLAND
Nikos FINTIKAKIS, UIA Region II Council Member GREECE
Deniz INCEDAYI, UIA Region II Vice President TURKEY
Frédéric RAGOT President of CIAF FRANCE
Antonio RIVERSO, UIA Region I Vice President ITALY
Şerban TIGANAS, President of OAR ROMANIA
Fani VAVILI, President of UIA Hellenistic Section GREECE
Jerzy GROCHULSKI UIA Region II Council Member POLAND
Fabian LLISTERRI UIA Region I Council Member SPAIN
Ozge Sahin, Architect TURKEY
Sibel Bas, Architect TURKEY
PRESENTATION OF THE RESULTS AND EXHIBITION
The prize winners will be determined by the Jury evaluation on May 30, 2014.
The results will be exhibited during Durban Congress (3-7 August 2014) in a special open hall and an award ceremomy and a discussion between the winners and the jury members with free participation of the Congress participants will be held.
The report of the jury will be sent to all participants and to the UIA.
3 equivalent prizes: € 1000
Awards will be paid within three (3) months after the announcement.
COPYRIGHT: AND GIVING THE PROJECTS BACK
Although the copyright of the projects sent belongs to the participants, they are considered to accept that UIA has the right to publish the projects. None of the projects which are submitted will be given back.
TMMOB Mimarlar Odası Genel Merkezi
Chamber of Architects of Turkey
Konur Sok. No: 4/2 06650 Yenişehir, Ankara Türkiye
Tel: 0 312 417 37 27
Faks: 0 312 418 03 61